All posts by dmcropley

Digital Producer | Artist | Animator

Paper Cut Aug 2018

Upfest 2018 made me want to do a mural using spray point (plotting to do one on the inside of my shed) and some stencil art.

I got as far as a paper cut piece. Once I buy some paint I’ll have a crack at using this as a stencil. Until then, its fun to see what it looks like on different backgrounds. I was toying with the idea of making a ‘psychadeli-clock’ on a rotating mechanism. Yeah.

I went to a butterfly house last week and almost bought a colour print. Then I thought I would like to do a smaller scale really detailed painting… so I’m going to make my own pic, because, artist.


Psychadelic Madness

I haven’t posted here in ages, as I’ve been focussing on other hobbies. I’m sure I’d really enjoy adult colouring books (I’m very good at staying in the lines…) but I couldn’t bring myself to buy one, so I made my own. These are what popped out.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Done with fineliners and Lyra / Tombow brush pens.

Building a Sub Woofer – Card Prototype

I’m going to build some speakers. Specifically subs. I wanted to build a massive dub reggae soundsystem.

I started a bit smaller. With thick grey card. And a 4″ driver from a set of little speakers found by the side of the road.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I found the plans on the internet. As you do. So I bodged this together to see what the craic is.

I’ve got wood (fnar), and just ordered a proper 6.5″ high excursion woofer from a german website (its not easy to source these things, it turns out). Your guess is as good as mine whether it’ll ever get here.

If all goes well, I’ll just need a professional carpentry workshop  and someone to teach me joinery…

New things – coming soon!

Its been ages, because kids, houses, work.

I’ve got some new projects I’m really excited about! …they are not strictly art based, but that’s not what is floating my boat at the moment.

Life is too short to mess around wondering ‘what if?’ – so embracing the project management motto: “JFDI”, I’m going to just fecking do it :D


Barry Whale and the Underwaves

Finished my painting last week. Dubbed “Barry Whale and the Underwaves” (thanks Dad!)


Sploshed in the BG


Bought a new fancy 36 set of half pans. Didn’t use it. #facepalm


Peeled off the masking fluid


It was terrifying. Again.


I think I should have let it dry more. I was a bit over-enthusiastic to see the results


But it just about worked. Knackered the paper here and there. And I had to touch up some of the inking. Nothing major


Boshed on with the colouring paying scant regard to what it would look like. Couldn’t decide whether to colour “Robbie ‘the rock’ Lobster” natural blue or red. Daughter chose red.


Finished it and got it framed the next day at the local framery. Framey. Frame. Frame. McFrame Face.


And somehow completely forgot to take a photo of the finished thing in my haste. Now its hung above my daughter’s bed.


So I just snuck in to take a cheeky snap. She didn’t wake up. Phew. #dadlife